Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Accidental Bowler

In June I went to St. George with my friend Terri. We had some free time on Friday afternoon and decided to go bowling. Terri is an avid bowler and gave me some good tips. I asked her about her Alpine Ladies Bowling League and told her I thought it sounded fun. She said I should join and that her sister-in-law had a space available on her team. I told her I couldn't do it because I was not good enough. She told that being bad was good because I would have a high handicap . I said I would think about it and told her to go ahead and check with her sister-in-law. I regretted this conversation almost immediately. After several weeks she hadn't said anything more about it so I thought I was off the hook. But no . . . one day, out of the blue, she asked me if I was ready for the season to begin in August. Surprise! I was in a bowling league.

I was scheduled to start on Friday, so Thursday afternoon I went bowling with Stacie to practice. Stacie is much better than me. She should be on the bowling team! Anyway, we bowled 3 games and I actually bowled 106 in the second game. This was the first time I passed 100 - an all-time high for me. Woo, woo, I was ready to go.

On Friday morning I put a pair of socks in my purse, went to work for an hour, and headed for All Star Lanes in Sandy, Utah. When I got there I realized these ladies were serious, they had their own balls! I rented my shoes, hoping no one would notice the rookie who didn't have her own, and tried to find an 11 pound ball with a big enough thumb hole.

Terri found me and got me oriented. I laced up the shoes and waited for my team to arrive. They greeted me warmly and politely dismissed my apologies for my weak bowling skills. Again, I was reassured, a low average means a high handicap.

We bowled 3 games and I can't complain. With some helpful advice from Terri's sister-in-law Jennie, I didn't do half bad. I actually bowled 2 games over 100. I am still in high handicap territory, but I have hope. I may just ask for my own ball for Christmas!

4 comments:

Heather O. said...

I wish I could see this with my own eyes!

Jana said...

You are the coolest mom ever! Don't forget, I am SO there on your next "practice" round!

Stacie said...

I told mom already, I think it should be a Henderson girls tradition to go bowling whenever someone is in town, it was VERY fun bowling with mom.

Trisha said...

Okay first of all, that ROCKS, I love it! Second, I say when we are all out in November we ALL go bowling, the kids would love it. mom you will be a pro by then. I love that you are doing that, can't wait to hear all about it.