I grew up in Northern California and I pretty much took the climate there for granted. Warm summers, mild winters, lots of fog. I was 17 years old the first time I experienced real humidity. My family was taking a road trip across the country in my Nana and Papa's motorhome when I first experienced "the south". I never felt dry there, my 70's hairstyle was flat there, it was beautiful but I was pretty sure I never wanted to live there. I came home to California with a new appreciation for what I now saw as the dry climate there.
Twenty years later I found myself living in the mountain desert of Utah. That is when I came to love and appreciate a truly dry climate. People tease us for saying this but it is true, dry heat is not as hot and dry cold is not as bitter. I acclamated well to this climate and developed an increased sensitivity to humidity.
Last weekend we went to Sacramento for our nephew, Trevor's, wedding. This whole spiel is to say it was HOT there. The temperature was maybe in the low 90's which I can easily bear in Utah, but was miserable there. Now you may not think of Sacramento as a humid climate and maybe it is not (I am not sure how relevant this is but I just checked and the current humidity in Sacramento is 83% in there as opposed to 67% in Salt Lake City) but I felt it - the moisture in the air. And my hair - ugh - was flat, flat, flat.
In spite of the heat, we had a great time. Trevor and Megan's wedding in the Sacramento Temple was beautiful and it was great to spend time with so much of our family. My Mom and Dad and Barbra and Bekky's families were all there. Stacie and Alan came with us and Heather, Beau and Luke joined us there. We enjoyed all of the wedding festivities on Friday, rode a train in Old Sacramento on Saturday and swam a lot. We even got to babysit Luke while Heather, Beau, Stacie and Alan went to the movie.
In one of our hotels there was a picture in the elevator of a grandmother jumping on the bed. Later in the day Luke asked, "Nana do you jump on the bed?" That evening Luke and I got on the bed together and jumped. The look on his face was priceless.
Sadly, we had to say our good-byes and come home to Utah, but I am not complaining about the weather here!

6 comments:
So true. I wish you would have videotaped the bed-jumping extravaganza.
I'll remember this when the temps drop here in Utah below freezing. "It is just dry cold"
Summer heat is much easier in the high mountain low humidity. PS I love Utah.
Pssssssssssssst, I love you.
Woo hoo! You guys have a blog!-Clint
Oh how we wish we could have been there with you guys. Sounds fun, and HOT!! It is HOT in arizona, but at least we do have that dry heat going for us. And I am with J, I wish we could see the bed jumping ordeal too. Dad will you be posting too??
I told Dad he should post - we'll see what he does.
woohoo! A blog! I think the weather thing depends on what you're body and hair are used to. When I go to utah my hair looks awful because it has way too much static. We had a great time with you guys. Thanks for jumping on the bed with Luke...he loves his Nana! He is figuring it all out too. Today he said, "Nana is my mom's mom?"
Post a Comment