Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Cafe Rio Chicken Burrito Recipe

I found this copy-cat recipe online and it seems to be a hit.


Cafe Rio Dressing, Chicken and Rice

Café Rio Dressing
1 buttermilk ranch dressing packet (make as per recipe)
2 tomatillos (tomato like vegetable with a husk around them)
½ bunch of cilantro
1 clove garlic
Juice of 1 lime
1 jalapeño (Use the seeds too if you like it spicy. You could substitute a few drops of green tobasco for the jalapeno.)
Use a food processor to blend all the ingredients well. Refrigerate.

Cafe Rio Chicken
1 small bottle Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing
1 T chili powder
1 T cumin
3 cloves garlic—minced
5 lbs chicken breast
Cook all together in a crock pot for 4 hours, shred meat and cook 1 additional hour

Café Rio Rice
4 c water
4 t chicken bouillon
4 t garlic –minced
½ bunch cilantro1 can green chiles—or equivalent fresh
¾ t salt
1 T butter
½ onion
4 c rice
Blend cilantro, green chiles and onion together in food processor. Bring water to a boil and add all ingredients, simmer covered 30 minutes.

Serve burrito style in flour tortillas with black or pinto beans and shredded cheese.

NOTE: For the rice I substituted olive oil for the butter, and I used brown rice which increased the cooking time to approximately 1 hour and 40 minutes. Also, this recipe is HUGE, you will definately want to adjust quanties unless you are having a party!

2 comments:

Trisha said...

Mmm, that looks so yummy! Can't wait to try it. The dressing looks the same as the dressing for the cafe rio salad that we all make. YUM YUM! I wish I was there the other night to try it.

Jana said...

Heaven wrapped up in a tortilla. mmm.